My husband loves a good milkshake. And its all because of the ‘malt’ powder. So when I started making desserts with malt in them (see Chocolate Malted Cookies) he was in heaven. I recently came across a recipe for Chocolate Malt Pudding and decided I had to give it a try. The recipe did not disappoint! Great chocolate malt taste with a velvety texture. If you’ve never made homemade chocolate pudding (see Homemade Dark Chocolate Pudding) you are in for a real treat. Not only does the homemade stuff far surpass anything store bought – but it is EASY to make! Aside from a few minutes of constant stirring there’s nothing to it!
Chocolate Malted Pudding (adapted from Taste of Home magaine, April/May 2010)
Serves 6 (or 4 generously)
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder (NOT the chocolate powder)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder*
- 2 cups milk (fat-free, 1% or whole)
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- whipped cream, to serve
- malted milk balls, chopped (for decoration)
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients (through cornstarch). Whisk in milk until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove the heat and stir in the chocolate and vanilla until smooth.
- Transfer to dessert dishes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
- To serve, garnish each serving with whipped cream and chopped malted milk balls.
*Espresso/coffee deepens the chocolate taste. However, if you don’t have any and you’d prefer not to purchase it you can just leave it out.
Diva Entertains offers *beautiful* Cherry Blossom Cookie Favors.