I love the combination of chocolate and caramel bars and made up this recipe for my nieces and nephews. Although there are several steps to it, none are complicated. And leftovers freeze beautifully!
I like the chocolate chip cookie base to be a bit soft and chewy (melted butter in a chocolate chip recipe makes a chewier cookie) so I cook it for about 22 minutes. But you may want to leave yours in a few minutes longer if you like yours a bit more done/crunchy.
Chocolate Caramel Bars with Chocolate Chip Cookie Base
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In medium bowl add sugar and melted butter. Beat with an electric beater (or a stand mixer). Add eggs and vanilla and beat until blended. Add the rest of the ingredients, except chocolate chips, and blend until incorporate. Add chocolate chips and mix in.
- Add batter to a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. If you are having trouble spreading it, simply run a spatula (or your hands) under cold water, shake off excess, and then pat in. Bake for 22 – 27 minutes until top is very lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the cookie base comes out clean.
- 42 caramels, unwrapped
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- While bars are baking, put caramels and evaporated milk in a heavy pot. Stir on lowest setting until melted. When melted and mixture is well blended add the butter and stir to blend. Then add flour, stirring to blend.
- Pour caramel over bars, spreading to cover bars completely. Let cool for at least 30 minutes, until caramel appears to have hardened somewhat.
Chocolate Ganache Layer
- 4 oz. heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- Pour heavy cream into medium pot (you can use the same pot the caramel was made in. No need to wash it first). Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Add chocolate chips to pot and shake so that chips are covered with cream.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Then stir until well blended and the mixture is dark brown and smooth.
- Pour over caramel layer and use knife or spatula to smooth over entire pan. Chill 6 hours or overnight before serving.