After spending way too much time on my last cupcake venture, Cupcake Pops, I decided to pursue a more sophisticated, adult cupcake. This time I went for a homemade mocha cupcake that I topped with, not one, but two luscious frostings: a chocolate ganache and a cappuccino cream cheese frosting. If you want to save time and only make one frosting – go for the cappuccino; it’s amazing!
The cupcake recipe is easy and straightforward. The sour cream, extra egg yolk and a bit of oil keep the cupcake moist. For the chocolate flavor I used Hershey’s Extra Dark Cocoa but you can use regular – the cupcake will simply be lighter in color (and taste) than the one shown. If you’ve never made chocolate ganache before – you are in for quite a treat. After making it you can cool it in the fridge until it is thickens somewhat and it is spreadable (don’t let it harden, though) and use it as is or you can instead whip it into a lighter, fluffier frosting.
- Mocha Cupcakes with Cappuccino Cream Cheese Frosting (makes 14 – 16 cupcakes)
- 2 Tbsp. instant espresso powder
- 8 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs and 1 extra egg yolk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Put cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer bowl), mix espresso powder, melted butter, eggs, sour cream and oil.
- Add the dry ingredients (cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and flour) and mix to incorporate.
- Fill cupcake liners with batter approximately 2/3 full. Cook for 13 – 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 8 oz. semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 oz. heavy whipping cream
- Bring the heavy whipping cream to a simmer, but not boiling. Turn off heat, and add chocolate. Let sit 5 minutes and then stir until the two are well blended.
- Bring to room temperature.
- When ready to use, chill in the refrigerate for 10-15 minutes. Then beat on medium-high for 2 minutes. Ganache should thicken and develop into a frosting consistency.
- Frost each cupcake with the ganache frosting.
Cappuccino Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 oz. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. espresso powder dissolved in 1 Tbsp. of water
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup powder sugar
- Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the espresso liquid and mix to incorporate; add the cinnamon. Beat in the powdered sugar until well combined.
- Frost each ganached cupcake with this cappuccino frosting.
Come visit Diva Entertains for a large selection of custom party favors!