I had great incentive to development a ‘best’ magic cookie bars recipe. Namely my husband, mother and best friend loves them! And after tasting way too many mediocre (at best) magic bars – I knew what I had to do to improve them.
Keys to success: 1) The graham cracker base needs to be moist and flavorful. That means using the right amount of melted butter and adding a bit of brown sugar to liven up the graham taste. 2) Using enough sweetened condensed milk to create a creamy, luscious texture and taste and for the toppings to have something to adhere to.
I make mine in a 9″ x 13″ cake pan – I’m almost always assured some leftovers (which freeze beautiful).
Magic Cookie Bars
Makes one 9″ x 13″ pan of magic cookies bars.
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 8 Tbsp. butter
- 2 (14 oz), sweetened condensed milks (you’ll use 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cans)
- 1 1/ cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 milk chocolate chips (or a bit more)
- 1 1/2 semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (or a bit more)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray 9″ x 13″ baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt 1 stick (8 Tbsp.) butter. Place the graham cracker crumbs and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter. Mix thoroughly so the cracker mixture is well blended/moistened. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and pat it in place making, sure that the layer is even.
- Starting on one side of the pan, pour the sweetened condensed milk up and down in lines. Ensure that the milk fills in any empty space between the lines. You should be able to cover at least one half of the pan from one can of milk. Repeat with the remaining can of milk until the entire pan is covered with sweetened condensed milk. You will, most likely, not need to use the entire contents from the second can.
- Sprinkle the coconut evenly over the entire pan. Repeat with both of the chocolate chips – trying to fill in gaps as you go along. Once covered, gently press the toppings into the sweetened condensed milk.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes; remove from oven. Let cool for several hours (until the chocolate chips are firm. To hasten the cooling process you can put them in the fridge.). Cut into squares and serve.
Turn to Diva Entertains for exquisite party favors!