This recipe just may be my “2012 Summer Recipe”; meaning it’s the best darn recipe I tried this summer! I’ve no doubt that I will be serving this easy cold avocado soup recipe to family and friends in the years to come. It was beautiful to present and absolutely scrumptious!
This recipe comes from Cooking Light but I have, like I do to all their recipes, tinkered with it. A few things to note in particular: 1) the recipe called for water as the ‘broth’ but I swapped it for more flavorful chicken broth. The only negative from the swap is that it softened the green color a tad but the increase in the soup’s flavor was well worth it. I also 2) used the chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken, shaving a lot of time off the recipe. 3) I added another avocado because I wanted a thicker soup.
Cold Avocado Soup with Chicken and Roasted Corn, adapted from Cooking Light, August 2011
- 2 or more ripe avocados, divided
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast from a store-bought rotisserie chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 lime wedges
1. Peel and coarsely chop 1 1/2 avocado; place in a blender. Add chicken stock, orange juice, and honey; blend until smooth.
2. Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray, heat pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add corn kernels and garlic cloves. Let sit 30 seconds, then stir until corn begins to color in some places. Remove from heat.
3. Peel and dice remaining avocado. Stir diced avocado, corn, bell pepper, and onions into chilled avocado puree. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon chowder into bowls; top with chicken and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Diva Entertains has all of your party favor needs whether you are looking for wedding favors, birthday favors or themed favors such as cherry blossom favors or breast cancer favors. All served with outstanding customer service.