I love using puff pastry to make elegant, delicious appetizers and desserts; it’s a huge time saver. This apple puff pastry dessert comes from one of my favorite magazines, the free Food & Drink magazine put out by the Ontario Liquor Control Board.
Apple Satchels, makes 4
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 baking apples such as Spy or Pink Lady, peeled, quarted and cored
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 pckage frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples and cook until sauce is caramelized and apples are cooked, about 10 minutes. Add lemon zest and cinnamon. In the end, you will have about 2 cups cooked apples.
- Dive puff pastry into four 5″ x 5″ squares. Place pieces on ungreased baking sheet, divide apples among them. Bring up the 4 corners and seal with beaten egg. Brush the entire pastry with egg mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until pastry is golden.
Photo and Adapted Recipe orginally from LLBO Food & Drink