These chocolate peanut butter cupcakes are sure to please! First, there’s the chocolate peanut butter cup that is inside each cupcake. Then they are topped with luscious, homemade chocolate frosting. Finally, they are decorated with chopped up chocolate peanut butter cups. Beautiful to look at, sinfully delicious to devour!
Although I make almost all my cakes and cupcakes from scratch – there is one doctored up package recipe that my mother has been making for decades that I turn to frequently. It’s delicious! I’ll share that today as well as the chocolate frosting recipe.
My Mom’s Doctored Up Cake/Cupcake Mix Recipe
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 1 (18.25 oz.) package chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup strong, black coffee
- 24 mini chocolate peanut butter cups
- Preheat oven to 350F. Fill 2 cupcake pans (12 cupcakes each) with cupliners.
- Add the first four ingredients (through coffee) to a bowl and beat until well blended, approx. 2 minutes.
- Divide batter between the 24 cupcake liners. Place one mini chocolate peanut butter cup in the middle of each cupcake and push until the top of the chocolate peanut butter cup is flush with the top of the cupcake batter. (The chocolate peanut butter cup will sink into the batter as it cooks).
- Bake according to the instructions on the cake mix box except start testing for doneness five minutes before the stated time on the package. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out either clear or with a few, moist crumbs.
- Let cupcakes cool while you make frosting.
Homemade Chocolate Frosting (adapted from Kimberly Sklar’s recipe that was printed in Food & Wine Magazine, 2006)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- chopped chocolate peanut butter cups
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the granulated sugar, corn syrup, cocoa and water and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Let sit five minutes, then stir until the melted chocolate has been fully incorporated and the saucepan contents are smooth.
- Let cool completely, about 30 minutes. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle each with the chopped chocolate peanut butter cups.