Now that asparagus is in season this is a wonderful recipe to showcase its freshness and flavor. It also allows you to play with the amount of cream you add to the soup. I’ve made it with the cream and without the cream and loved it both ways. You can also cut down the amount of cream and increase the chicken stock if you would like.
Lightly Creamed Asparagus Soup
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 leek, sliced and rinsed (white and light green portions only)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into thirds
- 2 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Add leeks, cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic to the pan and stir for 1 minute.
- Add asparagus and chicken stock, bring to a boil. Once it boils, lower the heat to a simmer and cook 5 – 7 minutes until asparagus is crisp tender (depends how thick your asparagus stems are). Let cool 10 minutes.
- Add contents of saucepan to blender, in batches, and puree until smooth. After each portion is blended, return it to another medium sized sauce pan.
- Add cream and reheat soup, mixing well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve!
Diva Entertains donates a portion of each Breast Cancer Favors sales to the Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer Foundation.