To be honest, I was given this recipe 15 years ago by a close friend who raved about it. But being a bit of a food snob back them (I’m way over that:) I disregarded it because it called for white sandwich bread, rolled thin, to wrap around the asparagus (along with cheese and Dijon mustard). I am not too proud to admit that I was a fool to do so. Because last week I gave it a try and it was absolutely delicious. And I’m usually pretty careful about what I eat but I consumed 3 of these little appetizers within a matter of minutes.
The only true key to success for this is to monitor these wrapped asparagus appetizers as they bake. Too little time and they are soggy from the melted butter, too long and they are burnt. But if you watch them and turn them as needed, out of your oven will come these delightful, golden appetizers that will win rave reviews from family and friends.
12 rolls, 4 to 6 portions
- 12 pieces white sandwich bread
- 12 asparagus spears, not too thin
- Dijon mustard
- 6 slices swiss cheese squares*
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter, preferably unsalted.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Remove crusts from bread slices. Using a rolling pin, roll as thin as possible. (They don’t roll out all that much.) Cut cheese slices in half.
- Cut asparagus spears to approximately the length of a slice of bread. Put spears in microwave on high for 35 seconds.
- Spread Dijon mustard very thinly to cover one side of bread slice. Lay one piece of Swiss cheese atop the bread slice near an edge, then place one asparagus on top of the cheese. Roll the bread up firmly. Brush all sides with the melted butter and lay, seam side down, on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 6 minutes and start checking for browning on the bread wrap. Once golden, turn wrapped asparagus over so the that side browns. Watch carefully – the second side takes much less time to brown than the first side.
- Serve and enjoy!
*The size of your Swiss cheese is usually dependent whether you buy it at the supermarket deli (squares) or refrigerated section (larger rectangle sized). If the latter you will only need 3 slices.