History: Growing up this was my mother’s (Joan Ravin) flank steak recipe. The one we loved and clamored for. It was an exciting day in the Ravin household when we had it for dinner. And then came the grandchildren (now ages 16 – 27). The recipe soon became their all-time-favorite. And was then known only as “Grandma Joanie’s Flank Steak”.
My mother always made it with pancake syrup which is still my preferred way of making it. However, you can use pure maple syrup if you would prefer. We like to cook ours rare to medium-rare. But whatever level of doneness you like your steak, served with this marinade, it will be absolutely scrumptious. Thanks mom!
Grandma Joanie’s Flank Steak
- 3/4 cups pancake syrup or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- dash of ground ginger
- 1 tsp. fresh, minced garlic
- 2 lb. flank steak
- Mix all ingredients in a ziplock bag or large dish. Add steak. Marinate overnight.
- Heat grill. Remove steak from marinade. Discard marinade. Grill to desired doneness.
- Slice thinly against the grain. Serve and enjoy!