Quite honestly, it never crossed my mind to make popsicles. I tend to be a chocolate, dough or frosting fiend so popsicles didn’t naturally ‘call to me’. But then I came across this recipe and something about it told me I just had to make it. I think it was the mix of blackberries and honey but then again, it could have been the yogurt mixed in. Whatever it was I’m glad that I did. Because they are, in a word, delicious!
However, if blackberries aren’t your thing, or perhaps you want to try them with several other flavors, substitute 18 ounces of any fruit that you would like!
I found popsicle molds at my grocery store, however, I’ve also seen them at craft stores and retailers such as Target, K-Mart and Walmart.
Blackberry, Honey and Yogurt Popsicles (Bon Appetit, Summer 2010)
Makes 10 popsicles
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 (6 oz) packages of Blackberries
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I used “Greek Style”)
- 5 tsp. honey
- 4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ice pop molds for 10 pops
- 10 ice pop or lollipop sticks, if not included with molds
- Bring 2/3 cups water and sugar to boil in small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Transfer simple syrup to small bowl and chill until cold, about 1 hour.
- Place blackberries in processor; puree until smooth. Pour blackberry puree into strainer set over medium bowl. Using rubber spatula, press on solids to extract as much puree as possible. Discard seeds in strainer. Measure 2 cups blackberry puree and place in another medium bowl for pops (reserve any remaining puree for another use). Add chilled simple syrup, yogurt, honey, and lemon juice to puree; whisk to blend.
- Divide mixture among 10 molds (each about 1/3- to 1/2-cup capacity). Top with mold cover, if available, and insert stick into each. (If cover is not available, cover top of mold with plastic wrap, pulling taut; freeze until partially frozen, then insert stick into center of plastic wrap and into pop mixture in each.) Freeze pops until firm, at least 8 hours or overnight.
DivaEntertains.com offers a chocolate dipped Oreo favors for every occasion. Just type “oreo” in the site’s search box!