This butternut squash recipe is easy to prepare and beautiful to present! Perfect for a fall or winter meal.
Butternut squash is surprisingly easy to cut. I first cut off both ends and then cut down the middle. Then take each piece, stand them on their end, and trim off the sides.
Pappardelle is an extra wide pasta, although any pasta will work with this recipe. I *love* pappardelle, though!
Butternut Squash Pasta with Bleu Cheese (adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, October 2010)
- 1 large butternut squash, 2 3/4- 3 1/4 lbs., or 1 3/4 lbs. ready-cubed (6 cups)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. Marsala
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lb. pappardelle or other robust pasta
- 6 fresh sage leaves (or 1 tsp. dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 5 oz. soft blue cheese
- Peel, halve and seed the butternut squash; cut into roughly 1-inch cubes.
- Cook onion in olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan that can accommodate the pasta later. When the onion starts to become golden, add the paprika.
- Stir butter and squash into onion mixture in pan. Add Marsala and water. Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer about 10 minutes or until squash is tender but still holds its shape.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to boiling; add hefty pinch of salt. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Lightly season squash mixture with salt and pepper (the blue cheese will add additional saltiness). Remove from heat.
- Finely chop sage; sprinkle over the squash, reserve some for serving.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water with a ladle or mug; drain pasta. Add drained pasta to the squash mixture. Gently stir to combine. If the sauce is too dry or mixture won’t come together, add some of the reserved cooking water; the starch in it encourages the sauce to emulsify and cling to the pasta. Stir in most of the blue cheese and walnuts. Taste for seasoning; add more salt and pepper if needed. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining sage, walnuts and cheese. Makes 6 (1 1/2 cup) servings + leftovers.
Diva Entertains offers beautiful, personalized keepsake Magnet Favors!