I probably make these roasted green beans with onions more than any other vegetable recipe. The reason is two fold: 1) they are so darn easy to make, and 2) haven’t met anyone yet who hasn’t loved them. Why is that? Because the caramelization process (when the green beans and onions brown) brings out, naturally, the wonderfully sweet flavors of both.
This isn’t so much a recipe as a ‘throw together’ but I will give some basic directions below and, within a couple of times of making these, you’ll put aside the recipe too. Another added benefit of this recipe? Substitute most any other vegetable for the green beans (butternut squash, broccoli, brussel sprouts) and the recipe will still work beautifully.
Roasted Green Beans with Onions
- 1 lb. of green bean, stem end trimmed
- 1 large onion, peeled, cut into halves and then each half into 4 wedges
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, approximately, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 lemon, cut into 2 wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray large, rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put green beans in a plastic bag and add 1.5 Tbsp. of olive oil. Shake bag until all green beans appear to ‘glisten’ which means that they have a light coating of oil. If you need to use more olive oil, try a teaspoon at a time. Spread the beans out on half of the baking sheet.
- Put the onion wedges in a plastic bag (you can reuse the one from Step 2) and add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to the bag. Shake bag until all onion pieces appear to ‘glisten’. If you need to use more olive oil, try a teaspoon at a time. Spread the beans out on the remaining half of the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes undisturbed. After 20 minutes turn over the green beans (most of the green beans should be lightly browned) and the onions (less of these will be brown) and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove the green beans to a serving dish and salt. Put the onions back in the oven and continue cooking and turning over, 8 – 10 minutes at a time. They will take another 10 to 20 minutes to become well caramelized. When they do, remove the sheet from the oven and salt the onions, then add them to the serving dish with the beans and toss gently. If you would like, spritz the vegetables with lemon juice and then gently toss. Serve & enjoy!