I didn’t grow up with Rice Krispie Bars – it’s a rather new experience for me. But now that I’ve had it I can understand why it has a large following (some have served them at their wedding!).
This version is a tad more sophisticated and includes peanut butter, roasted peanuts and chocolate in the recipe. My tasting panel (family, friends and associates) gave these a big thumbs up! And they are really easy to make. The oven doesn’t come into play. The only tricky part of the recipe is that the ‘krispy’ portion of the recipe is a tad hard to work with because it is so sticky. But follow the directions below and you’ll have the recipe completed within 30 minutes!
This recipe easily doubles (make it in a 9″ x 13″ pan) and leftovers (if there are any) can be frozen for future use.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bars (adapted from ‘Everyday Food, summer 2010’)
Makes 16 cookies
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter (more if using to butter the pan)
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (natural recommended*)
- 1/4 tsp. coarse salt
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
- nonstick cooking spray or vegetable oil, for pressing
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped, roasted salted peanuts
- Spray or butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a large pot, combine marshmallows, peanut butter, butter and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until melted, about 4 minutes. Add cereal and stir to combine.
- With a wooden spoon greased with cookie spray or oil, press half the cereal mixture into a dish. Spread the melted chocolate on top and then the chopped peanuts on top of that. Repeat with remaining cereal mixture.
- Store in airtight container, up to 3 days.
*You can now purchase ‘no-stir natural’ peanut butter which is ideal for baking.
Diva Entertains offers a large selection of Wine Favors: some practical, some delicious, some just for fun. All fabulous!