This delicious, baked breaded chicken recipe is a staple in our home. Although in our house. it goes by the name of “Jerry’s Scrumptious Chicken”. Jerry is my husband and he’s the one that tinkered with ingredients and their amounts until he got it just right.
The secret to this recipe is: 1) Pound the chicken pieces quite thin before breading and baking. That way the chicken pieces will all cook evenly, and 2) Cook in a very hot oven, 425 F, for 10 minutes. They will not only be done but they will be incredibly moist and flavorful.
Leftovers are wonderful! My husband often re-crisps with a little olive oil in a hot skillet – absolutely scrumptious!
Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (Progresso brand or other)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. basil
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, pounded lightly to even thickness (1/4 inch or so)*
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cover (rimmed) baking sheet with tin foil; spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together the seasoned bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil and cayenne. Pour breading mixture onto plate.
- Dip each chicken piece first into butter, coating each side but letting excess drip off. Then dip into the coating, turning over to coat each side. You can lightly pat each side so that the coating adheres. Lay each piece on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit 2 minutes. Plate and serve!
*If the breasts are very large cut into 2 pieces prior to breading.