As promised in my last post, here is my husband’s best meatloaf recipe! We’ve tried many and always come back to this one. Don’t be put off by the ingredient list, once you keep the spices on hand, if you don’t already have them in your pantry, it’s a rather easy meatloaf recipe. A bit of chopping and mixing and that’s it!
We are partial to a plain ol’ ketchup glaze for our meatloaf. If you prefer a different topping (mustard/ketchup mixture, etc.), go ahead and use it – I’m sure it will be great!
Best Meatloaf Recipe (Taste of Home, sometime in the 1990’s)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped green pepper*
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tsp. prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. dill weed
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion flakes
- additional ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except additional ketchup. Press meat mixture into the loaf pan. Drizzle with ketchup and cook for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes (check after 1 hour the level of doneness). Remove from oven; let rest 5 minutes. Remove from loaf pan and serve.
* So that you don’t waste the a whole green pepper just for the recipe, you can chop up the entire pepper and freeze the rest for future use.
Turn to Diva Entertains for the most divine Chocolate Favors!