I love polenta but I make rarely make it because my husband thinks he doesn’t like it. But that all changes when we are talking about polenta fried! Like me, he can’t resist the crisp, golden crust that forms. But don’t think high fat or calorie-laden, this recipe is oven-fried.
This recipe uses prepared polenta that you find in the Italian aisle of your supermarket. If you can purchase fresh, prepared polenta (in the refrigerated section) of your supermarket – all the better. If its the former you are working with – a word to the wise: “don’t salt prior to serving”. The prepared package already has more than enough sodium. A little pepper, however, is delicious with it!
You may also like to top each polenta with a bit of grated parmesan prior to going in the oven. Or, when the polenta comes out – give it a spritz of lemon juice from a lemon wedge.
Polenta Fries (or Polenta Wedges)
- 1 package prepared polenta
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet non-stick baking spray.
- Cut the prepared polenta in either fries or wedges, approximate 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick.
- Lay the polenta pieces on the prepared baking sheet and brush lightly with olive oil. Turn over and brush the remaining side.
- Bake in the oven 20 minutes without turning. At 20 minutes, check doneness by turning over one piece. If nicely browned, turn all pieces over and cook another 10 minutes. (If not quite browned yet, keep checking every 5 minutes until they are to your liking, then turn over and cook for another 10 minutes.)
- Serve & Enjoy!