I’ve always loved Butterfinger candy bars. The mixture of a chewy, peanut buttery confection covered in chocolate – scrumptious! And when I saw this Bon Appetit recipe for Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies that included Butterfinger candy bar pieces in the batter I just had to try it. So glad that I did. All my taste testers (family, friends, our postwoman, our local pharmacy staff…well, you get it. I always bring baked goods where ever I go:) were too – they loved it.
Keys to Success: 1) I think using a natural peanut butter really makes a difference. For baking, your best option is a ‘no-stir’ natural peanut butter (otherwise you have to hand mix the jar of peanut butter which can be quite a pain), and 2) I prefer using unsalted butter for baking since it allows me to control the salt added to a recipe.
Also, I prefer to have my cookies a bit thick and a tad soft in the middle. That doesn’t typically happen when you bake the cookies immediately after making the cookie dough – the cookies tend to be more flat. If you would prefer a thicker cookie simply shape the cookie into balls (about 1 1/2″ to 2″ balls, depending on the size you want the cookies to be) and refrigerate the balls for about an hour prior to baking. Flatten slightly before baking.
Finally, – these cookies are awesome as is, but if you would like, you can sprinkle the tops of the cookie with turbinado (raw) sugar prior to baking. The cookie on the left has had some sprinkled on it.
1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking power
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup natural no-stir peanut butter, smooth or crunchy
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar, optional*
- 1/3 cup packed, golden brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 King Size Butterfinger candy bar, chopped
- Position 1 oven rack in the top third of the oven and the other rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using electric beaters or a stand mixer, beat together peanut butter, butter, 1/3 cup sugar and the brown sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Add egg and vanilla, then flour and baking power and salt. Beat until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and chopped Butterfinger candy.
- If using the turbinado sugar, place sugar in a small bowl. Using 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie, roll dough between palms to form balls. Roll balls in sugar and place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 inch apart. Using bottom of glass, press cookies into 1/3″ thick rounds.
- Bake cookies until edges are golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes, reversing sheets halfway through cooking time for even baking. Cool on wire rack.
*You can use regular, granulated sugar instead turbinado – the effect just won’t be as pronounced.
Diva Entertains offers personalized favors including her select line of Unique Baby Shower Favors.