Here’s another fabulous recipe from my friend Lizzy at That Skinny Chick Can Bake blog. Why are these chocolate chunk bars divine? Because like Lizzy, I’m all for recipes that go the extra step to make the result a bit richer and moister than the traditional recipe. And this recipe achieves it by adding an extra egg yoke to the batter (I always throw an extra yoke into my cake batters) and using a combination of white sugar and granulated sugar.
Lizzy adapted this recipe from a Cook’s Illustrated recipe – I love this magazine! If you’ve never read one you may want to pick it up at a bookstore – each recipe is a cooking lesson!
Important note from Lizzy: “Instead of using 2 cups of a variety of chocolate chip flavors as called for in the original recipe, I turned these into chocolate chunk bars. That way I could sneak some of my favorite white chocolate into the mix. I’ve always like my chocolate chip bars slightly underdone...maybe my it’s due to my love of cookie dough, but they’re just moister, chewier when not cooked the full 28 minutes.” You, of course, can use any combination of chocolate chunks that you want – or just one type of chocolate!
Divine Chocolate Chunk Bars
Makes a 9″ x 13″ pan of bar cookies
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups chocolate chunks (I chopped a 4-ounce Ghirardelli white chocolate bar, a milk chocolate bar, and a semi-sweet chocolate bar)
- Preheat oven to 325º. Line a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick foil or regular foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the melted butter and sugar. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix well. Fold in the dry ingredients with spatula or wooden spoon being careful not to over mix. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Spread dough evenly into pan. Bake 24-28 minutes, till golden brown. Cool in pan, then using foil to remove bars from pan, and cut to serve.
Turn to Diva Entertains for your entertaining needs! Our party favors, centerpieces and decorations are one-of-a-kind!