Although I’m normally a ‘make it from scratch’ kinda gal, this mandarin orange pineapple cake is definitely an exception. I’ve had it many times over the years and enjoyed it every time. It tastes light, fresh and full of citrus flavor. Best of all, it’s a breeze to make. Interestingly, this cake also goes by the name of Pig Picking Cake and I don’t have a clue why:)
This recipe comes from my friend Lizzy at the That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!! blog. She’s a great cook and baker – you won’t go wrong with her recipes!
Mandarin Orange Cake Recipe…adapted from The Country Cook
- 1 18.25-ounce box of Butter or Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, at room temperature
- 1 14-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained, 1/2 cup juice reserved
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 4-ounce box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple, 1/2 cup juice reserved
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 ounces Cool Whip (half an 8 ounce container)
- Extra mandarin orange slices for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 350º. Grease 9 x 13 inch pan.
Combine cake mix, butter, reserved mandarin orange juice, eggs and vanilla. Beat for 3-4 minutes on medium high speed.
Add drained oranges, and beat till segments are broken into small pieces. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes or till cake is golden brown and set in the center. Remove from oven to rack and cool completely.
Make icing by combining reserved pineapple juice and pudding mix. Add powdered sugar and mix till combine. Stir in Cool Whip, then drained pineapple. Spread on cooled cake and refrigerate a couple hours before serving. Garnish slices with mandarin orange slices if desired.
*Cake can also be made in 2 8-inch round cake pans and baked for 17-21 minutes.