A friend posted a link to this recipe and I was so taken with them that I made them immediately. Something about combining peanut butter, apples and brown sugar – it sounded so delish. And like the *perfect* fall sweet treat. And I wasn’t disappointed – they were scrumptious! Moist and full of flavor. Give ’em a try!
Peanut Butter Apple Cookie Bars adapted from a recipe found at Two Peas & Their Pod website
For the bars:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups peel & diced apple (I prefer Granny Smith when baking)
For the peanut butter glaze:
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch pan and set aside. (I use a non-stick cooking spray formulated for baking – it has flour added to it).
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from the heat, and stir in the peanut butter, until creamy and combined. Set mixture aside to cool.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, to the peanut butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine. Then whisk or beat in 1 cup of flour, the baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Once combined, add the remaining cup of flour. Fold in the diced apples.
4. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, spreading the batter evenly to the edges of the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden and the edges are slightly browned. Remove bars from oven and place them on a wire rack to cool.
5. While the bars are cooling, make the peanut butter glaze. In a medium bowl, combine the sifted powdered sugar, milk, peanut butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk or beat until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled bars. Let harden. Cut into squares and serve.
Turn to Diva Entertains for fabulous, custom party favors!