These luscious Greek honey walnut cookies have a fabulous WOW factor to them. Their presentation couldn’t be prettier and they are absolutely *delicious*. At first I was put off by the recipe because it called rolling out the dough which often can be a sticky mess. But that so wasn’t the case with this particular Greek cookie recipe. And that’s because of the cream cheese in the dough – it makes it a breeze to work with.
I also purchase walnut bits, not pieces. That’s a big time saver – no chopping necessary. They are a bit more expensive but, if time is short, it’s worth the splurge.
Greek Honey Nut Cookies from Good Housekeeping –Special Publication, 1999
- 1 (8-ounce package) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- BEAT cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons milk. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir or knead in remaining flour. Divide dough into four portions. If necessary, cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours or till easy to handle.
- MEANWHILE, combine 2/3 cup sugar, 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon, the honey, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Stir in walnuts; set aside.
- ROLL one portion of dough on a lightly floured surface into an 8 inch circle. Carefully transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet. Spread half of the nut mixture to within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll another portion of dough into an 8-inch circle. Place over the nut-topped circle. Seal edges with a fork. Brush with milk; sprinkle with a mixture of 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- BAKE in a 350′ oven for 15 to 20 minutes or till edges start to brown. Cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Cut each round into 12 wedges. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely. Makes 24
Be sure to visit Diva Entertains for fabulous party favors!