I was rather taken with the photo of the Neapolitan Cupcake I saw in a magazine. Unfortunately – the cupcake itself, although nicely flavored, was just too dense. Which is saying something because I tend to like rich, heavy things. However, the frosting was absolutely divine. A definitely ‘must have’ in my frosting repertoire, although of course I tinkered and altered it completely from the original:)
As for the cupcake itself – which boasted a chocolate base under a vanilla top – it was deceptively easy to do. My recommendation? Just buy a vanilla cake mix, divide it into two as described below and flavor one half as chocolate and then, once baked, top with the heavenly strawberry frosting. And you’ve got yourself a rather spectacular, yet easy-as-can-be, Neapolitan dessert!
Neapolitan Cupcake (Makes 24)
- 1 vanilla cake mix
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Mix cake mix according to package directions. Divide batter in two and add cocoa to one half. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon chocolate batter into muffin cups filling about one-third full. Spoon vanilla batter evening over chocolate batter, filling about two-thirds full. Bake according to package directions. Cool completely.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves or jam
- 1 Tbsp. milk or half-n-half
- 3 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and butter. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixture until smooth. Beat in strawberry preserves and milk; beat until smooth. Add sugar and continue to mix until smooth and blended.