I made these oven baked tomatoes last night and I was so delighted with not only their taste (superb) but also with how fast these came together. This recipe and the amazing photography is from Monica at LicktheBowlGood blog.
The original recipe is from the book Simple Suppers by Jennifer Chandler but Monica has added her own (very helpful) notes to the recipe
Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (I used 1 Tablespoon dried parsley)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, cut in half horizontally
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oiPreheat oven to 395 degrees.In a medium mixing bowl stir together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic parsley and oregano until well combined.Place the tomato halves in a shallow baking dish, sliced side up. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste. (I added the salt and pepper to the bread crumb mixture).
Sprinkle the tops of the tomatoes with the Parmesan bread crumb mixture. Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the tomatoes. (I mixed the olive oil in with the bread crumbs so they’d stick together and create a crisper topping).
Bake until the topping is golden, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.