The combination of flavors in this sausage pasta recipe are a wonderful marriage: interesting and balanced. As a bonus it is super easy to pull together for a fast weeknight dinner or as elegant company dish.
To consider if making this dish:
- Although the original recipe calls for fresh tagliatelle, either fresh or dried works beautifully. As does fettucini or even spaghetti. I always go for the wider pasta while my husband prefers thin (I usually win out:)
- Not a fan of spicy argula? Baby spinach is a great substitute.
- The 1/2 cup of heavy cream makes for a luscious mouthfeel. But if you are trying to cut fat and calories you can substitute with 1/4 cup of pasta water (make sure you reserve from as you drain).
Tagliatelle with Sausage, Red Peppers & Arugula, adapted recipe and photography from Fine Cooking Magazine, pp. 17, March 2012
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 13-oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained and finely chopped (1-3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 10-oz. package fresh tagliatelle or fettuccine
- 4 cups loosely packed baby arugula (about 2-1/2 oz.)
- 3/4 oz. (1/2 cup) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 8 large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper
Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Break the sausage into bite-size pieces and add them to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 4 minutes. Pour off all but 1 Tbs. of the fat and return the skillet to medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the peppers and cream and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently until the sauce is slightly thickened, 8 minutes.
Cook the pasta in the boiling water according to package instructions. Drain well and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the sauce, arugula, cheese, and basil (if using) and toss with tongs until the arugula is slightly wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.