If you need a ‘go to’ chocolate cake, one that is easy to make, super delicious, incredibly moist – this is it. The salted caramel filling and rich chocolate ganache frosting pairs beautifully with it, yet you could also fill and frost with other flavors. Sprinkling a bit of sea salt on the top of the frosting is the perfect final touch.
About that caramel cake filling. I must admit, I haven’t had much luck making caramel filling in the past, yet this recipe was a breeze to make. The only thing that I might do in the future is to make one and half times what the recipe calls for, but that’s because I like a lot of filling. But make it first, as is, to see if you agree.
Also – I used Hershey’s dark cocoa for this cake, however, you can use any cocoa (your cake will be a bit lighter in color and if not using the dark cocoa).
I always like to give the source of any recipe I use but, unfortunately, I cannot remember where this one came from. I’ve adapted it a tad by adding an extra egg yolk – I almost always add an extra yolk to any cake recipe I make; it makes for a richer, moister cake.
Chocolate Caramel Cake with Sea Salt
Serves 10 – 12
For the Cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
For the Salted Caramel Filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
- 1 lb. bittersweet (dark) chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Make the cake: Place all ingredients in a large bowl and beat until the batter is smooth. Divide batter into two greased 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 25-35 minutes (start testing at 25 minutes), or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Make the chocolate ganache frosting: Place chocolate in a large bowl. Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan and pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir until it’s a smooth cream; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate briefly to thicken (check after 30 minutes to see if it is a good spreading consistency).
- Make the salted caramel filling: Place sugar, water and corn syrup in a large saucepan on low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Turn the heat up to medium and allow mixture to cook without stirring until the sugar turns a dark amber (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and pour in the cream (it will bubble as you do so). Stir well. Stir in butter and sea salt. Let cool in the refrigerator.
- Assemble the cake: Place one cake layer on a plate or cake stand and spread the caramel cream over the cake. Add the second layer of cake.
- Frost the cake with the chocolate ganache. Sprinkle with a little sea salt on the top of the cake.
- Keep the cake refrigerated until ready to serve.