I couldn’t help but smile when I came across this Taste of Home magazine recipe (thanks to the magazine for the photo). Tater tots were a rare treat in my childhood and a cause for celebration when we did have them. Bacon wrapped tater tots certainly had appeal but it was when I read that the tots were first brushed with maple syrup prior to wrapping in a bacon slice that this recipe turned into a ‘must try’. I confess – they were really good. And fun. A can’t miss appetizer. And just in time for the Superbowl!
Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots, makes 32 servings
- 16 bacon strips, cut in half
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 32 frozen Tater Tots
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; keep warm.
- Combine syrup and pepper flakes. Dip each bacon piece in syrup mixture, then wrap around each Tater Tot. Secure with toothpicks.
- Place on a greased rack in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Yield: 32 appetizers.