Oreos hold a very special place in my heart. One of my nephews, especially fond of the chocolate oreo truffles that I make, asked that I make them for his Bar Mitzvah party. Since then I always seek out recipes with oreos; they tend to be decadent and always delicious.
Last week it dawned on me how wonderful they would be ‘stuffed’ between two layers of fudge brownies. But I didn’t stop there! I topped them with a decadent layer of chocolate ganache (chocolate and heavy cream).
Oreo Stuffed Brownies
- 2 packages fudge brownie mixes for a 9″ x 13″ pan
- 1 package Oreo cookies (you’ll use 24 Oreos)
Chocolate Ganache Topping (optional)
- 8 oz. heavy cream
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9″ x 13″ pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, empty fudge brownie mixes and prepare according to package instructions.
- Pour 1/2 of batter into preparing baking pan. Lay 24 Oreos on top of the batter – 4 across each row, 6 rows in total with about 1/2″ in between each Oreo. Lightly press Oreo into batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake according to package directions, starting to check for doneness as directed on the package. In all likelihood, the brownies, because of their thickness, will take another 15-20 minutes to bake. Keep checking for doneness every 5 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the batter (between Oreos if possible). When it come out clean or with moist crumbs sticking to it – the brownies are done and remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, while brownies are baking and if you are topping them with chocolate ganache, pour the heavy cream into a medium saucepan. Bring to boil then turn off stove and remove from heat. Add chocolate chips and shake pan so that cream covers chocolate. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes and then stir until chocolate and cream are totally blended (mixture will turn very dark). When brownies come out of the oven, pour the ganache over the brownies and spread evenly with a spatula. Refrigerate until ganache sets. Cut into 24 pieces (trying to cut between oreos) and serve.