This fabulous blueberry hand pie recipe is courtesy of Toronto’s Food & Drink Magazine, a beautiful free magazine handed out at their wine stores. I’m *so* fortunate to have a dear friend that always picks one of for me – the recipes are divine!
A single serving easy blueberry pie, this hand pie is easy to make using frozen puff pastry.
Blueberry Hand Pies, makes 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange or lemon juice
- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. water
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. fresh orange or lemon juice
- turbino sugar or regular sugar
For The Blueberry Filling
- Combine blueberries, sugar and orange (or lemon) juice in a small sauce-pan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, for about 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened and jammy. Transfer to a bowl, over and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until chilled and set, or for up to 3 days.
For The Pastry Crust and Baking
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take out one portion of thawed puff pastry and return the remaining portion to the refrigerator for another use. Roll out pastry on a floured surface to a 12-inch square. Cut in half, then cut each half crosswise into 3 rectangles. Whisk egg with water and brush lightly along edges of each rectangle. Spoon a slightly heaping Tbsp of blueberry filling on 1 side of each rectangle. Fold opposite side of pastry over filling like a book, pressing edges to seal. Crimp around all 4 sides of rectangle with a fork. Place on baking sheet, spacing at least 2 inches apart. Brush top with egg. Pierce tops 3 times with a small knife to create vents. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Bake pies for about 18 minutes or until puffed, golden brown and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.
- Combine powdered sugar and orange (or lemon) juice in a bowl to make a thick glaze. Brush glaze across the tops of pies. Dust with turbino (raw) sugar (or regular sugar). Let set for 5 minutes or up to 2 hours.