Oh my! Talk about indulgence! I came across my friend Lizzy’s fudge frosted brownies on her blog, ThatSkinnyChickCanBake and I knew that I had to try that fudge frosting recipe. It is *divine*!
I used boxed brownie mixes (2 of them) for the base. I use brownie mixes whenever I’m going to add a topping to brownies; if I’m serving them ‘au naturale’ then I make brownies from scratch.
A couple of notes:
- The best way to ensure fudgy brownies is to not overbake. My rule of them is to start checking for doneness 7-10 minutes before the instructions on the box says they will take to bake. When a toothpick comes out either clear or with a few crumbs sticking to it take them out of the oven.
- Because I wanted thick brownies, I used 2 fudge brownie mixes.
- And I added a 12 oz. packaged of dark chocolate chips to the batter. I just had to……….
Fudge Frosting for Brownies
- 2 fudge brownie mixes
- 1 (12 oz) package of dark chocolate chips (2 cups), optional
- 1 (12 oz) package semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9″ x 13″ pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make brownie mixes according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan and transfer to the oven. Start checking the brownies for doneness with a toothpick 7-10 minutes before the instructions on the box says they will take to bake. Once the toothpick comes out either clear or with a few crumbs sticking to it take the brownies out of the oven.
- Prepare fudge frosting once brownies are out of the oven (because it hardens quickly). Combine chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan and heat gently until chocolate melts. Mix until well combined. Add the 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Immediately spread over hot brownies. Allow to cool on wire rack, then refrigerate. To serve, cut into bars.