Once again I am using a (slightly modified) recipe from my favorite cookie cookbook* to make, in my humble opinion, the best chocolate chip cookies ever!
What makes it so special?
- First is the ground oatmeal in the cookie dough. Gives great flavor and texture, making this a chewy chocolate chip cookie.
- Second is the combination of white and brown sugar. Once again, an important part of the flavor and texture.
- Finally, the 1 1/2 Tablespoons of pure vanilla extract – what a difference this makes!
And I end with a warning – these cookies are addictive!
*Milk & Cookies: 89 Heirloom Recipes from New York’s Milk and Cookies Bakery by Tina Casaceli & Jacque Torres
Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe, Makes about 3 dozen cookies
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, (or 2 cups oatmeal flour)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips (12 oz. package)
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Place oats in the bowl of a food processor fitted with metal blade and process until finely ground. Transfer the ground oats to a large mixing bowl and add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Put the butter in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle. Beat on low speed until soft, then increase speed to medium and beat until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add granulated sugar and then brown sugar, beating until very light and creamy.
Add eggs, 1 at a time, and beat to incorporate, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and when blended, slowly beat in the reserved dry mixture and mix until well blended. Add chocolate chips and mix until just incorporated. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 3 days (or freeze for up to a month). Take out 10 minutes before ready to bake.
To assemble and bake: Preheat the oven to 350°. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats (you might need to use a cookie sheet twice). For each cookie, take about a 1 1/2-inch ball of dough and place cookies evenly on prepared sheets, giving each enough room to spread. Bake until center sets and cookies are lightly golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Do not over-bake, cookies will set more once removed from the oven (do not transfer to a wire rack for 10 minutes).