Forgive me – one more non-sweet recipe. Too delicious to pass up!
Have you ever tried quinoa? It’s packed full of protein and can be used in place of bulgur, barley and kasha. Did I mention that it is absolutely delicious too?! And so is this healthy quinoa recipe. The parsley is fresh out of our garden and in another month or two I’ll be using our home grown tomatoes and cucumbers too!
Quinoa Tabbouleh (from Bon Appetit magazine, 2012)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large English hothouse cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Bring quinoa, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread out quinoa on a large rimmed baking sheet; let cool. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in 1/4 cup dressing. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover remaining dressing and quinoa separately; chill.
Add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and scallions to bowl with quinoa; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining dressing over.