I am absolutely swooning over this cake. It is 5 star all the way. And easy….so easy. Once you make it I guarantee you’ll make it over and over again.
This recipe was mentioned in an Oprah magazine as the best caramel cake ever and I certainly agree. The recipe comes from Danielle’s Desserts in Washington D.C. The only thing I changed is I swapped out the whole milk originally called for in the cake recipe with buttermilk. I almost always do that – it makes a much moister and flavorful cake.
Caramel Bundt Cake,
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for the pan
- 3 cups cake flour, plus more for the pan
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 to 4 Tbsp. heavy cream
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a Bundt pan. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, and mix until fully incorporated. Add vanilla and continue mixing. With the mixer on slow speed, add flour mixture a bit at a time to egg mixture, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then invert pan and gently ease cake onto a serving plate, then let it cool completely.
- To make caramel glaze: In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, then mix in brown sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla, and salt. Bring to a boil and stir, simmering, for 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar into glaze on low speed until smooth. Add cream 1 Tbsp. at a time until you reach desired consistency. Spoon over cooled cake and serve.