One of my favorite spring cakes is a Hummingbird Cake. After trying several recipes – my favorite is the one from Southern Living magazine. Not surprising, it is one of their most requested cakes of all time. Moist, flavorful and decked out with a delicious cream cheese frosting – heavenly!
Oh…did I mention that it is extremely easy to make?
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups chopped bananas
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.
- Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Store in refrigerator.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
Cake Decoration, if desired:
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Recipe & photo courtesy of Southern Living Magazine.