When I read the rave reviews of this easy lemon meringue pie recipe by Trish Yearwood in my Food Network magazine, I knew I had to give it a try. And it did not disappoint! Next time I might double the filling recipe – it was that good!
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 1/2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, melted
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 large egg yolks, whites reserved for meringue
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- For the crust: In a mixing bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs and sugar until combined. Then, stir in the melted butter. Press the mixture firmly into a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- For the filling: In a medium bowl, mix the condensed milk, lemon juice, zest and egg yolks, reserving the whites for the meringue. Pour the mixture into the crust.
- For the meringue: Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then add the sugar and whip until peaks are stiff.
- Spread the meringue over the pie and seal to the edge of the crust. Bake until the meringue browns slightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Food Network Magazine.com