I love the combination of almond with fruit so when I came across this relatively easy apple dessert recipe that included almond paste I was excited to try it. The recipe came from a magazine called Family Favorites Cookbook and it’s easy to see why it was included.
Similar to an apple almond tart – this recipe is easier because it is free-form (no fitting into a tart pan).
FYI: I omitted the giner and replace it with 1 tsp. cinnamon.
Apple-Almond Galette, Serves 8
- 1 (7 ounce) tube almond paste
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs baking apples, peeled and cored
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 refrigerated unbaked pie crust (from a 15-ounce package)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl combine almond paste, egg, egg white, flour, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on high about 1 minute or until fluffy.
- Cut apples into a 3/8-inch slices. In a large bowl toss apples with lemon juice, the 2 Tbsp. sugar, the ginger (if using) and nutmeg; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Follow package directions for pie crust. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry to a 14-inch oval. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Spread almond paste mixture over dough, leaving a 2 inch border. Arrange apple slices on almond paste. Fold over border, pleating dough and covering outer edges of apple. Place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg yolk and the water; brush over crust. Generously sprinkle crust and apples with sugar. Top with nuts.
- Bake about 1 hour or until apples are tender and almond filling is golden. (If crust browns to quickly, cover the crust with foil.) Broil galette about 1 minute or until apples are slightly browned. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a wire cooling rack. Slide galette onto parchment on wire rack. Cool slightly. If desired, serve with whipped cream.