If you’ve never had a Canadian nanaimo bar I would highly suggest giving this recipe a try. It consists of a crisp coconut crust, a pudding-like layer and then topped off with a semi-sweet chocolate glaze. Delish!
Calgary Nanaimo Bars
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, optional
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Line an 8-in.-square baking pan with foil, letting ends extend oversides by 1 in. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cocoa;add butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter ismelted. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all tothe pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture reaches160°. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cracker crumbs, coconut and, if desired, almonds. Press intoprepared pan. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until set.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, pudding mix, butter and milk until smooth; spread over crust.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Spread over top. Refrigerate until set. Using foil, lift bars out of pan. Discard foil; cut into bars. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Recipe & Photo Courtesy of Taste of Home Magazine.